FANDOM


Narrator: The delvers, triumphant over the Uthgark barbarians, quickly loot the bodies and retreat before another wave came and wiped them out.
Lenia: Have we had an opportunity to rest, and perhaps even heal?
Mrugnak: ... we weren't wiped out.
Mrugnak: We wiped them out :D
Lenia: Another wave might have wiped us out, though.
Narrator: The rest of the day's march and an uneventful night's sleep left them 2 days away from the first landmark on the Bloody Roses' map.
Berkun: he means a 3rd wave!
Lenia: Wait, I'm not allowed to agree with the narrator.
Mordreona: I say we hunt the rest down.
Mrugnak: (( I presume then with the rest and such, we're healed. ))
GM: You've had a night to sleep, cast spells, renew your Paut addiction, whatever. You've examined the loot.
GM: What are you up to?
GM: And what look did you take?
Berkun: (how do I use the configuration file you sent, Mark?)
Berkun: Berkun took as much light-weight valuables as he can
Berkun: but nothing heavy
whispering to Berkun, If you need to, open Edit/Campaign Properties and import it. Not sure that you do.
Lenia: We have a mule and a packhorse; anything we can pack up and haul, unless it's stone or bone. Metal can be sold as scrap, if nothing else, and if we find better loot later we can toss the scrap.
Mordreona: Anything I find I give to Mrugnak.
Berkun: OK
Mrugnak: Mrugnak likes the shinies. Bronze plate is what, DR 5 on the torso, 3 everywhere else?
GM: Fine, then. Bronze plate is DR4 everywhere, and well over 100 lbs.
Mordreona: OH, I have no top.
** Mrugnak ogles Mordreona. **
GM: That's true... and all the barbarians where SM+1, so there armor doesn't fit.
Mrugnak: At the moment, magical chain is better than nonmagical bronze plate. However, when we get back to civilization, Mrugnak is quite interested in trading up.
Mordreona: How does my back look Mrugnak
GM: I'm going to assume everyone is fully healed.
Lenia: I like this assumption; it reduces the chance I critfail a Major Healing and turn Mrugnak into a newt.
** Mrugnak hurriedly looks over Mordreona's head, and hands her the fur rug thing. **
Mordreona: "What is this for?"
Lenia: "Covering yourself, I imagine."
** Mordreona uses it to clean her self off. **
Mrugnak: "Dat cloak thing."
Berkun: "Never know when another arrow might come"
Berkun: Berkun says with complete sincerity
Berkun: "And breast wounds are messy."
Mordreona: can my jacket be made to cover me up at all?
Mordreona: not for DR but so I do not bounce to much.
GM: No... you can cover yourshelf with one of your spare shirts, though.
Mordreona: OK will do that
Mrugnak: ... Waitaminute, my armor's acidified.
GM: Yes, for 2 points I believe.
Mrugnak: Imma gonna switch to the Bronze plate.
GM: Who has Armory (Body Armor) skill?
Mrugnak: ... yeah, only if I can put it on, good point.
** Mrugnak does not have Armory (Anything), and is as dumb as two bags of hammers. **
GM: I think Lenia rolls off the default, then?
Mrugnak: Please. Bettern' Mrugnak can.
Mordreona: " Just go with out any, you will be fine."
Berkun: no armory skill here either
** Mrugnak tries to stare at Mordreona in disbelief. "Mrugnak not dumb." **
Mordreona: You should let that hairy chest breath.
Singeon: Urgh!
GM: Lenia?
Lenia: Armory (Body Armor): [3d6.skill(16,-5)] => [5,1,1] = 7 vs (11) or less Success! by 4 -whatever happens when we don't have anything but a campfire for tools.
GM: Good enough. Improbably, the armor fits with minor modifications.
Mrugnak: You can use rocks as hammers >.>
Mrugnak: The heel of a shoe...
GM: How does that change Mrugnak's stats?
** Mordreona smiles at Mrugnak. "I'm just a little girl and I do not wear any, why would a big thing like you need it?" **
Lenia: (Sorry for the delay - I was trying to figure out what the penalty was for improvised tools)
Mrugnak: Well, the 64 000 $ question(s) are can I put the plate on over my chain, and does the chainmail hauberk's lighten enchantment help with the plate?
GM: Yes, and no.
GM: Lighten works for a single layer if you layer armor.
Singeon: Big things are easier to hit.
Berkun: 'Did anyone take the eater water? Next enemy gives us trouble, we can hurl it at them!"
Mrugnak: While it's mildly tempting to wear both at once, and just eat the -1 DX, it's not worth wearing both sets at once with the mail half-dead.
Mordreona: I have a good arm for that.
GM: Good question. Is anyone carrying the 10 lb acid containers?
Mrugnak: Lemme just check my encumbrance.
Berkun: I can't burden myself more
Mordreona: I have no encumbrance as of now.
Berkun: Indeed, I'll put my hatchet for the mule to carry, as well as my rations
Berkun: so that I'm unencumbered
** Mrugnak can probably carry it, and has a disturbingly strong throwing arm. **
Mrugnak: Accuracy, not so much.
Berkun: If you throw it far enough, lack of accuracy isn't that of a problem
Mrugnak: Mark, how much does the full set weigh?
Mrugnak: My maille set is 93 lbs.
GM: Ah - [40+26+7+2+10] => 85, x2
GM: 170 lbs.
Mrugnak: Covers the face and neck?
GM: Ooops - less 20, you can't wear the helm.
Mrugnak: Oh hah, dur.
GM: So 150 lbs, no head/neck coverage.
Lenia: ((AFK, just heard a loud thump in the other room.))
Mordreona: May I have 1 of the acid containers?
GM: You'll be encumbered again if you take it.
GM: Unless you unbundle them...
Mordreona: How much is I I thought only 10 lb
GM: Yes, but you're carrying 10 lbs of knives, 4 lbs of swords, a buckler and a crossbow. That's 22 lbs all by itself.
Mrugnak: Keeping the Coif, half-eaten though it may be. Dumping the armor on the mule. If it can take it, the 75 lb backpack goes on the mule as well.
Mrugnak: Poor mule.
GM: The mule carries 300 lbs, and Henrietta is a ST12 porter. So you're covered.
Lenia: ((Back. A bird had flown into a window and then flown up and gotten trapped. Letting it out without letting it in took some work.))
Mordreona: I will drop the buckler and crossbow. If that works for everyone.
GM: Mordreona - 22 lbs weapons, 7 lbs armor, 5-8 lbs of potions...
GM: okay. then you can have an acid bundle.
Mordreona: ((put them on the mule))
Mrugnak: In that case, I'm at Medium encumbrance still, DR 4+Natural DR 2 everywhere except the head, where I have DR 2/1* + DR 2 Natural +2 Skull +2 Thick skull.
Mrugnak: And generally hope people hit me in the head, where I won't notice.
GM: Okay, got it.
GM: So.
GM: Everyone make Perception tests at -3.
Mrugnak: Hearing?
Mordreona: Per (13) [3d6.skill(13,-3)] => [2,1,5] = 8 vs (10) or less Success! by 2
GM: Nope.
Lenia: Perception: [3d6.skill(12,-3)] => [5,5,6] = 16 vs (9) or less Failure! by 7
Singeon: [3d6] => [1,1,1] = (3)
Mrugnak: Kay.
Singeon: Crit success!!!
Mrugnak: Per (12) [3d6.skill(12,-3)] => [1,5,3] = 9 vs (9) or less Success! by 0
Berkun: [3d6] => [5,6,6] = (17)
Berkun: crit failure
GM: Hang a second.
whispering to Singeon, There are 3 manticores flying over head. They seem to moving toward your group.
Mordreona: (( do I have the acid?))
Lenia: ((Yes))
GM: Mordreona - yes, sure.
whispering to Mordreona, There are some large, ugly bats flying over head.
whispering to Berkun, You are digging through your pack or something. You'll need to spend a round readying your bow when the excitement start.
Mordreona: Hay whats that?
** Mordreona points up. **
whispering to Mrugnak, There are 3 large bat-like things overhead.
GM: A bunch of people have whispers. Several people do not.
** Mrugnak squints up. "Birds!" **
Mordreona: "looks like bats to me."
Singeon: "Manticores, I believe."
Berkun: Berkun rearranges things in his pack
Singeon: Draw rapiers
Mrugnak: "Dat furry birds?"
Lenia: ...Manticores.
Singeon: "En guard, friends."
** Mrugnak draws his weapons. **
** Mordreona hides **
GM: combat starts!
Mordreona: Stealth (17) [3d6.skill(17,0)] => [5,6,6] = 17 vs (17) or less Failure! [B556]
GM: hang a second... mucking around with maptools. panic amongst yourselves.
Mrugnak: Ack.
Berkun: "What, what?"
Berkun: Berkun is confused, he was too busy to notice the threat!
** Lenia readies her staff, eyes desperately scanning the sky. **
Narrator: You hear heavy beating as 3 bat-winged lions swoop of the sky and start overflying you.

1) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[32]<b> Singeon
(on deck: [28] Mordreona)

Singeon: "Eyes on the skies." Wait for one to come in range... then attack.
Singeon: ###
GM: Okay, Wait it is.

2) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[28]<b> Mordreona
(on deck: [27] Berkun)

Mordreona: Unsure of WTF is going on I just hide and draw my sword.
GM: okay.

3) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[27]<b> Berkun
(on deck: [25] Monsters)

Berkun: Berkun reaches for his bow when he realizes what's going on!
GM: Good plan!

4) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[25]<b> Monsters
(on deck: [24] Mrugnak)

Berkun: and takes 3 steps back
Berkun: (if he can)
GM: try 1 - for a step and ready.
Berkun: check
Narrator: The lead manticore swoops over the group, dropping to about 15 yards up. It lashes out with its tail, and launches iron spikes at you!
Generic Monster: Manticore 02 - All-Out attack move forward 7 and Suppressive fire.
Berkun: I dodge and retreat!
Berkun: and it's feverish defense
Berkun: I mean, defense
Berkun: should I roll?
GM: Dude - calm the heck down!
GM: Checking the rules here.
Mrugnak: No adventurer wants to die :D
Berkun: heh, sorry:)
Berkun: suppressive fire sounds scary, you know. makes me think of machinegun fire.
GM: okay, the strike zone is the Berkun-Lenia axis. Singeon and the retainers may catch some, too.
GM: Yes, it's supposed to. =)
Generic Monster: Tail Darts vs Berkun [3d6.skill(16,6-5+3)] => [4,4,6] = 14 vs (20) or less Success! by 6
GM: The 4 spikes are coming Berkun's way. Now you may panic.
Generic Monster: Tail Darts vs Lenia [3d6.skill(16,6-5+3)] => [2,4,3] = 9 vs (20) or less Success! by 11
GM: The other two are going to hit Lenia.
Berkun: okay, do I need to dodge every single one? or are they a single clump?
GM: You roll 1 dodge, and for every point you succeed, 1 misses you.
Berkun: feverish defense, retreat, dodge [3d6] => [2,3,5] = (10)
Berkun: I'm good
GM: You can't retreat from ranged weapons - you'd have to fall prone. Still want to?
Berkun: it would be 15 (10 dodge, +3 retreat, +2 FP)
Berkun: yes
Mordreona: (( can I do a heroic dive to knock Lenia down and take her damage as I took a wait on my turn?))
GM: Mordreona - sure, I'll allow a Sacrifice Dodge. Roll it.
GM: There are now 6 spikes headed for Lenia, as Berkun dodged them all.
Mordreona: [3d6] => [2,6,4] = (12) vs 11
Lenia: Dodge (not dropping): [3d6.skill(9,-2+1)] => [1,5,4] = 10 vs (8) or less Failure! by 2
Lenia: Luck.
Lenia: Dodge (not dropping): [3d6.skill(9,-2+1)] => [4,3,5] = 12 vs (8) or less Failure! by 4
Lenia: Dodge (not dropping): [3d6.skill(9,-2+1)] => [6,3,1] = 10 vs (8) or less Failure! by 2
Mrugnak: o.o
Lenia: Ow.
GM: Well... 4 of the spikes hit Lenia. Mordreona jumps in the way of the other 2. Progress?
Lenia: Torso DR is 7.
Generic Monster: Tail spikes for Lenia (AP2 Piercing) [1d6+4] => [5,4] = (9)[1d6+4] => [2,4] = (6)[1d6+4] => [6,4] = (10)[1d6+4] => [5,4] = (9) DR4
Generic Monster: Tail spikes for Mordreona (AP2 Piercing) [1d6+4] => [3,4] = (7)[1d6+4] => [2,4] = (6) DR0
Lenia: [5+2+6+5] => 18
GM: Mordreona takes 13 damage and a major wound. Lenia takes 18 damage and a major wound. You are both impaled painfully.
Lenia: Major Wound: [3d6.skill(12,0)] => [6,6,3] = 15 vs (12) or less Failure! by 3
Mordreona: HT (13) [3d6.skill(13,0)] => [5,3,6] = 14 vs (13) or less Failure! by 1
Mordreona: I did not include my very fit tho so I made it
Lenia: I'm pretty sure Low Pain Threshold gave me a penalty on that.
GM: Lenia decides to sit down and not move for a bit. A long bit. You fall off your horse.
Lenia: That likely hurts.
Generic Monster: The other two manticores line up their passes.
Mrugnak: Not quite as much as being impaled.
GM: falling damage [2d-4] => 2d-4
GM: falling damage [2d6-4] => [1,5,-4] = (2)
GM: Your armor absorbs it.

5) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[24]<b> Mrugnak
(on deck: [24] Lenia)

** Mrugnak drops Huvudet-krossat-i on its lanyard (free action) and draws a king-sized hatchet from his delvers harness. **
Mrugnak: ***
GM: okay.

6) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[24]<b> Lenia
(on deck: [20] Guards)

GM: roll HT for unconscious?
Lenia: HT: [3d6.skill(12,0)] => [5,6,1] = 12 vs (12) or less Success! by 0
Lenia: Stun Recovery: [3d6.skill(12,-4)] => [3,5,5] = 13 vs (8) or less Failure! by 5
Lenia: Do Nothing.
Lenia: ###

7) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[20]<b> Guards
(on deck: [32] Singeon)

GM: Lenia, control the guards, please.
GM: They have crossbows, spears, and shields. Skill 14 in all.
Lenia: Can't control the minis.
Lenia: Crossbows are readied, or spears?
GM: Your choice.
Lenia: Crossbows!
GM: You have the minis, now.
Lenia: Both guards fire at Manticore 02. [3d6.skill(14,-5)] => [2,6,6] = 14 vs (9) or less Failure! by 5 [3d6.skill(14,-5)] => [4,2,2] = 8 vs (9) or less Success! by 1
GM: All out attack, no dodge. Damage is 1d+3 impaling for Leann's shot.
Lenia: [1d6+3] => [2,3] = (5)
Lenia: Both step, and drop the crossbows, readying spears.
Lenia: ###
Narrator: The guards answer with crossbow shots. One goes wild, the other grazes the beasts' flank.
Generic Monster: Flight check [3d6.skill(16,-2)] => [4,4,6] = 14 vs (14) or less Success! by 0
Narrator: It wobbles overhead.
GM: Hmmm... Henrietta and Ricka dive for cover. The horse and mule take off.

1) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[32]<b> Singeon
(on deck: [28] Mordreona)

Singeon: Move Forward to draw their fire, making me an obvious target. AoD +2 to dodge. "How many passes until they have to get closer to attack?"
Singeon: I need my fig control please.
GM: sorry
Singeon: They are all coming the same way, right?
GM: Yep.
Singeon: Bring em on!
Singeon: ###

2) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[28]<b> Mordreona
(on deck: [27] Berkun)

GM: Roll HT or Unconscious
Mordreona: I try to drag Lenia to cover.
Mordreona: HT (13) [3d6.skill(13,2)] => [1,1,1] = 3 vs (15) or less Critical Success! [B556]
GM: Okay, you kneel and grab Lenia.
GM: You don't need to roll for consciousness until you take more damage.

3) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[27]<b> Berkun
(on deck: [25] Monsters)

Mordreona: ((k))
GM: Berkun?
Berkun: I am here
GM: Your action?
Berkun: I had to go away for a moment
Berkun: Berkun stands up
Berkun: and that's all he can do
GM: Well, you kneel, first. Standing is next round.
Lenia: You don't take a penalty for firing while prone. >.>
Lenia: Just FYI.
GM: That's true - don't get acc bonuses, either...
Berkun: wait a moment, I don't?
Berkun: if so, then I much rather shoot right now!
Lenia: Heroic Archers are kind of awesome that way.
GM: You're a Heroic Archer. Keyword is HEROIC.
Berkun: riiiight, I had to miss that
Berkun: okay, it's fast draw[3d6] => [3,1,2] = (6) quick shot[3d6] => [4,2,3] = (9)
Berkun: and I'm going to make a called shot to the vitals
GM: attack roll is at -7 for range (it's 15 yards, straight up!)
Berkun: hopefully, Berkun knows where a manticore has it's vital spots
Berkun: so it's 13
GM: Hmm. You think that.
Berkun: since skill 19 +1 for weapon bond
Berkun: [3d6] => [5,2,2] = (9)
GM: Skill is 18, weapon bond makes it 19... so you do hit.
GM: Roll damage.
Berkun: [1d6+6] => [2,6] = (8) impaling
Narrator: Berkun desperately grabs an arrow as he rolls over. He easily makes his mark in the monster's lung.
GM: Hmm. what's the penalty for Major wounds to the vitals? -5 on HT?
Generic Monster: Manticore down? [3d6.skill(11,-5)] => [5,3,4] = 12 vs (6) or less Failure! by 6
Mrugnak: I can't find anything on the hit location table.
Mrugnak: Might not be any penalty, but he failed either way.
Lenia: No penalties.
Mrugnak: No, -5 found it under Major Wound.
Berkun: hey, wow, those targeted shots are deadly
Berkun: (and I forgot to count extra +1 for signature)
Mrugnak: p420 for future ref, it's face and vitals that takes the -5, -10 for skull and eye.
Lenia: Right.
Narrator: The manticore loses blood pressure and falls unconscious.
GM: Thanks, Mrugnak.

4) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[25]<b> Monsters
(on deck: [24] Mrugnak)

Berkun: "Watch out, it's fallin' now!"
Mrugnak: arrows in the heart and lungs and stuff tends to mess things out.
Lenia: And lands on Lenia?
Mrugnak: *up.
Mrugnak: Berkun, possibly :D
Generic Monster: The unconscious critter swoops forward, wrapping itself around a tree. Damage is lots and lots.
Singeon: poor tree
GM: [4d6+2] => [5,2,4,6,2] = (19)
GM: [3d6.skill(11,0)] => [5,6,3] = 14 vs (11) or less Failure! by 3
Berkun: at least we know it wasn't a Treant
Mordreona: ((give it a round to wake up is all))
Narrator: The tree shatters. So does the manticore.
Berkun: at least we know there are no invisible vampires nearby either
Generic Monster: The other two swing around. One is preparing to make another pass.
Berkun: (sorry, I'll stop it now:) )

5) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[24]<b> Mrugnak
(on deck: [24] Lenia)

Mrugnak: Do I have line of sight to Manticore 3?
Mrugnak: Or is it up in the branches?
GM: You do, but they're circling about 30 yards out and 30 yards high.
GM: I don't think you're in range (90 yards).
Mrugnak: Shouldn't that be 42 yards? (Pythagorean theorem ftw)
** Mrugnak waits until a manticore approaches within 10 yards, preparing to throw his axe at it. **
GM: Effective range is more because they're high up, remember?
GM: See the relevant section in campaigns that I looked up when fighting the Ettin.
Mrugnak: OK. (( an ettin? ))
GM: Do you want to Aim instead of Waiting?
Mrugnak: I'd have to pick one to aim at.
GM: Yes, Ettin, 2 sessions ago? Leyoch and Ochley.
GM: There's 1 clearly in the lead.
Mrugnak: (( ... sorry, for a moment I was thinking treant ))
Mrugnak: Sure. I'll aim at the one coming in then.
GM: okay.

6) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[24]<b> Lenia
(on deck: [20] Guards)

Lenia: Do Nothing.
GM: Don't have to roll for consciousness, as you did nothing.
Lenia: Stun Recovery: [3d6.skill(12,-4)] => [2,6,3] = 11 vs (8) or less Failure! by 3
Lenia: ###
GM: what's the penalty for? LPT doesn't give a penalty for recovery.
Lenia: In that case, success.
GM: You're in horrible pain.
Lenia: But I can act, next round.
GM: Yes.

7) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[20]<b> Guards
(on deck: [32] Singeon)

Lenia: Kneel and begin readying shields (round 1 of 2? 3?)
Lenia: ###
GM: single round - they have small shields.
Lenia: Aha.
Lenia: Remind me to buy my guards some better equipment.
Henrietta: Take cover behind a tree.
Berkun: "No time for that! Watch the skies!"
Ricka: Take cover behind a tree.
GM: Your horse is fleeing, as is the mule with all your crap on it.

1) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[32]<b> Singeon
(on deck: [28] Mordreona)

Singeon: "Take me, creatures." Again AoD +2 dodge
Singeon: ###
GM: okay...

2) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[28]<b> Mordreona
(on deck: [27] Berkun)

Mordreona: Drag Lenia toward cover. "I don't think they're listening!"

3) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[27]<b> Berkun
(on deck: [25] Monsters)

Berkun: rise to a kneeling position
Berkun: done

4) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[25]<b> Monsters
(on deck: [24] Mrugnak)

Generic Monster: Manticore 01 approaches, lining up on the convenient cluster of lunchmeat there. It's currently 20 yards out, 25 yards up.
Generic Monster: The other manticore swoops around.

5) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[24]<b> Mrugnak
(on deck: [24] Lenia)

Mrugnak: So now I've got a great +1 to hit?
Lenia: +2 - aiming is effective in Mark's game.
Mrugnak: And it's effectively 45 yards away.
GM: You could wait and throw as it approaches next turn?
Lenia: -8
Mrugnak: 's what I"m typing :D
** Mrugnak Waits for Manticore 01 to approach within 30 effective yards, when he will All Out Attack it with a thrown hatchet. **
Mrugnak: In the torso.
GM: well then.
Mrugnak: ***

6) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[24]<b> Lenia
(on deck: [20] Guards)

Mrugnak: (( This only impacts range, right, not the speed/range to hit...)
GM: Right.
Mrugnak: (( as far as I can tell. ))
Mrugnak: Kay.
Lenia: I can't find the manticores on the map at all.
Lenia: Oh, there they are.
Mrugnak: Can you put a yellow aura on them or something? They blend in.
GM: They're red and black against a green background. What the hell?
Mrugnak: Tigers are orange.
Mrugnak: They still blend in.
Mrugnak: ( so are the tree trunks)
GM: that help?
Mrugnak: Thanks, that helps a lot.
** Lenia mutters to Mordreona, "Let me go!". Remaining prone, extending my staff, and casting Shape Air two hexes in front of Singeon, pointing straight up. 10 FP; the gale does 5d6 knockback and goes up fifty yards. **
Mrugnak: Ask Lenia about how bad I am at finding things some time. >.>
Lenia: Consciousness Check: [3d6.skill(12,0)] => [1,1,2] = 4 vs (12) or less Critical Success! [B556]
GM: No more consciousness checks for you. Go for it.
Lenia: Shape Air: [3d6.skill(17,-3-3-2)] => [2,5,3] = 10 vs (9) or less Failure! by 1
Lenia: Luck.
Lenia: Shape Air: [3d6.skill(17,-3-3-2)] => [2,3,3] = 8 vs (9) or less Success! by 1
Lenia: Shape Air: [3d6.skill(17,-3-3-2)] => [4,2,4] = 10 vs (9) or less Failure! by 1
Lenia: Gah.
GM: okay, there's an airspout in front of Singeon.

7) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[20]<b> Guards
(on deck: [32] Singeon)

Lenia: Blue dot shows it.
Lenia: Guards: Stand, aim for throwing spears at Manticore 01.
Lenia: ###

1) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[32]<b> Singeon
(on deck: [28] Mordreona)

Singeon: "Take me, creatures." Again AoD +2 dodge
Singeon: Again
Narrator: There is a roaring wind, immediately in front of Singeon.

2) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[28]<b> Mordreona
(on deck: [27] Berkun)

Singeon: Someone shoot at me, please
Mordreona: I pull a healing potion and move for a tree. (do I get my full move or a step?)
Lenia: So you can dodge it, and let it hit the rest of us? :P
Mrugnak: Step for a Ready.
GM: Just a step. Do you want to stand instead?
Mordreona: Yes, I do that

3) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[27]<b> Berkun
(on deck: [25] Monsters)

Berkun: I stand up, can I move too?
GM: Nope.
Berkun: I stand up
GM: Anything else? You can take other actions.
Berkun: can I aim at one of the monsters?
GM: Definitely.
GM: Which one?
Berkun: the air spout is only one hex?
Berkun: if so, then at the nearest one
GM: You really don't know about magic.
GM: okay.

4) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[25]<b> Monsters
(on deck: [24] Mrugnak)

Berkun: nearest one, I'll take the risk
Narrator: The manticore drops down low as it concentrates on flinging tail spikes at you.
Mrugnak: Woot!
Generic Monster: All-out attack - move and suppressive fire on the Singeon-Lenia axis. Half the spikes lost to the airspout, the rest can only hit Mordreona and the guards.
GM: Mrugnak gets his shot off after the Manticore, though.
Generic Monster: against Mordreona [3d6.skill(16,4-5)] => [4,3,1] = 8 vs (15) or less Success! by 7
Mordreona: Dodge (11) [3d6.skill(11,0)] => [1,3,3] = 7 vs (11) or less Success! by 4
Narrator: Some of the spikes are thrown every which way by the air spout; the rest Mordreona nimbly dodges.
GM: The other Manticore continues wheeling around.

5) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[24]<b> Mrugnak
(on deck: [24] Lenia)

Mrugnak: What about my wait?
GM: oh, right. take your shot, then your normal turn. how's about that?
Mrugnak: Sure :D
** Mrugnak Determinedly flings his Hatchet [3d6.skill(15,-7+2+1)] => [4,1,2] = 7 vs (11) or less Success! by 4 at Manticore 01, -7 for range +2 for Aiming, +1 for AOA. **
GM: No dodge for All-Out attack by Manticore. Roll damage.
Mrugnak: And it AoA'd didn't it.
Mrugnak: Hatchet [4d6] => [5,3,2,3] = (13) cut
Generic Monster: 15 damage and a major wound [3d6.skill(11,0)] => [4,1,3] = 8 vs (11) or less Success! by 3
Generic Monster: Flight check [3d6.skill(16,-4)] => [6,6,4] = 16 vs (12) or less Failure! by 4
Narrator: Mrugnak's lucky axe throw jolts the beast around, and it loses control and starts to crash.
Berkun: great!
GM: Have you looked at it's flight path?
Mrugnak: Very much like the other one. But through an Air Jet!
GM: uhm. We'll see.
Mrugnak: There's a tree at the end of the path too :D

6) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[24]<b> Lenia
(on deck: [20] Guards)

Mrugnak: And for my next action I Ready another throwing axe.
Berkun: one of the guards could brace, maybe?
Mrugnak: Because I got an action too.
Mrugnak: ***
Lenia: Get to knees.
Lenia: ###

7) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[20]<b> Guards
(on deck: [32] Singeon)

GM: Lenia? Guards?
Lenia: Scatter.
Lenia: Because being crashed into by a minotaur is bad.
GM: Right.
Mrugnak: Or a manticore?
Lenia: That too.
Lenia: Minotaur, Manticore, all you people look alike.
Narrator: The massive beast drops low, heading to crash into the center of the delving band. The mercenary guards wisely scatter to put distance between themselves and it.

1) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[32]<b> Singeon
(on deck: [28] Mordreona)

Singeon: Any more coming
Mrugnak: There's one left.
Singeon: Circling around?
Singeon: Surprise....
Singeon: "Take me, creatures." Again AoD +2 dodge

2) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[28]<b> Mordreona
(on deck: [27] Berkun)

Mordreona: I run for a tree.
GM: Good plan.

3) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[27]<b> Berkun
(on deck: [25] Monsters)

Singeon: (I'm taking flight next time i am in Polisberg))
Berkun: AOA, I move 3 to the south and shoot at vitals
GM: Okay!
Berkun: fast draw[3d6] => [6,1,6] = (13) fast shot[3d6] => [4,1,1] = (6)
GM: -7 for range, +1 for AoA, +2 for size, +1 for signature, -3 for vitals.
Berkun: I don't get signature on AOA
GM: net is -6, you need a 13-
Berkun: only normal shot
GM: oh, right, 12-
Berkun: I don't get accuracy bonus?
Berkun: I'm standing up
Lenia: Not when moving.
GM: oh, yeah, you do.
Berkun: [3d6] => [1,1,4] = (6)
Lenia: Yes when moving?
GM: yes, he does - Heroic Archer is Heroic.
Lenia: I'll just keep my mouth shut.
Berkun: haha
Berkun: then that might be a crit?
GM: They get it for AoA.
Berkun: I'd have 15 effective skill
GM: That's not a crit, just a hit. Roll damage.
Berkun: [1d6+6] => [4,6] = (10)
Berkun: right, I'd need 16 skill for crit
GM: 21 damage to the vitals. owch!
Berkun: of course it's impaling
Narrator: Berkun's shot turns the manticore from a clumsy, dropping flyer to a hurtling, inanimate object. The delvers may not find this comforting.

4) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[25]<b> Monsters
(on deck: [24] Mrugnak)

Mrugnak: Flies over the tree trunk?
Generic Monster: Random chance of slamming into Singeon [3d6.skill(9,0)] => [5,4,5] = 14 vs (9) or less Failure! by 5
Generic Monster: Random chance of slamming into Lenia [3d6.skill(9,0)] => [4,6,3] = 13 vs (9) or less Failure! by 4
Narrator: It skims Lenia's hair before crashing into the ground behind her in an untidy and stinky heap.
Generic Monster: The last manticore snorts and banks away, apparently deciding not to die.
Generic Monster: Instead, it's going to eat Lenia's horse, or maybe the mule.
Lenia: Yeah, that tree is a real deathtrap.
** Mordreona slumps on my tree **
Berkun: Wiping sweat from his face, Berkun grins to others

5) YOUR TURN NOW:: </b>[24]<b> Mrugnak
(on deck: [24] Lenia)

Berkun: "See? They are deadly things, but that one is smart enough to flee!"
Singeon: "You have truly proved yourself today. I am honored to fight by your side, Berkun."
Mordreona: " Think it will come back with more?
** Mrugnak Aims at the last Manticore. **
Mrugnak: "Hairy bird gonna steal Mrugnak backpack!"
Berkun: "You aren't the first nor the last, friend! My skills are best you can find in Westmarch."
Singeon: "Modest as well."
Berkun: "Hey, I'm a professional. I rather have my deeds speak for me than boast like a barbarian!"
GM: We're off combat time, but the manticore is clearly chasing the horse, and the mule is running for it's life (not very fast, though).
GM: The Manticore is faster than the horse.
Mordreona: I first aid myself
Berkun: In this case Berkun will chase after it!
Mrugnak: It's going to have to fly over us to get to the horse, yes?
Berkun: "Darn it, the HORSE!"
GM: (speeds: horse-12, manticore-15)
Lenia: I'm not sure, but I think the air jet is long enough that I can shift its direction and point it at the manticore.
GM: It's fast enough to go around you guys.
Lenia: Unfortunately, I fail at Pythagoras.
Singeon: "You misunderstand, i can appreciate pride in yourself."
Mrugnak: What's the length?
Lenia: 50 yards.
Mrugnak: 35 yards horizontally and vertically would hit it.
GM: Lenia can take 1 shot with Innate Attack, normal range/movement penalties, at 50 yds.
Mrugnak: Or some other weird combination.
GM: Manticore is moving at speed 15, she can Aim.
GM: anyone else can try to do something, but the closest you're getting is 30 yards horizontally and vertically.
Mordreona: First Aid/TL3 (Human) (13) [3d6.skill(13,0)] => [3,3,6] = 12 vs (13) or less Success! by 1
Berkun: I'll try to get the best position to shoot I can, then make a shot at the vitals for the third time...
Lenia: Innate Attack: [3d6.skill(12,-8)] => [3,3,5] = 11 vs (4) or less Failure! by 7
Mordreona: If I can get my pack from Mrugnak
Lenia: 3 CP for critsuccess.
Mrugnak: Mrugnak put his pack, which has your pack in it, on the mule.
GM: Expensive!
GM: [5d6] => [4,1,6,1,2] = (14)
Mordreona: "Bad Mrugnak."
Lenia: But saves the single most expensive piece of equipment on my character sheet from being eaten for lunch.
Generic Monster: Manticore [3d6.skill(16,-1)] => [4,1,2] = 7 vs (15) or less Success! by 8
GM: [3d6.crit_hit()] => [1,2,6] = 9 The blow inflicts normal damage. [B556]
GM: The manticore recovers, it seems.
Mrugnak: Shape Air is doubled for Knockback, yesno?
GM: Berkun, your shot?
Lenia: No, it's pure knockback, no damage.
Mrugnak: Ah.
GM: Again, Berkun, your shot? Range penalty is -11.
** Mrugnak will take a shot at it with his second hatchet, but is probably going to miss. **
GM: can you even hit things 90 yards away?
Berkun: well, I have a chance
Berkun: I need a 10
Berkun: [3d6] => [2,4,2] = (8)
Mrugnak: Oh crappit, not on the hatchet. I could on something heavier.
Berkun: so I might have got it!
Generic Monster: Attempted dodge [3d6.skill(10,0)] => [1,4,2] = 7 vs (10) or less Success! by 3
Berkun: "Catch the horse, somewun!"
Mrugnak: In that case, after discovering it's not getting any closer, Mrugnak will attempt to run after the animals.
GM: It dodges your shot and then launches a poorly aimed volley back at you [3d6.skill(16,-7+2)] => [4,3,5] = 12 vs (11) or less Failure! by 1
Mordreona: I drink my potion and run after the horse.
GM: anyone standing near Berkun?
Lenia: Kaetlin's in the same line.
GM: okay. vs Kaetlin [3d6.skill(11,0)] => [1,5,3] = 9 vs (11) or less Success! by 2
GM: Kaetlin gets 2 spikes.
Lenia: Block: [3d6.skill(10,1)] => [5,1,1] = 7 vs (11) or less Success! by 4
GM: She catches them on her shield.
GM: The manticore flies away.
Mrugnak: After the horse and mule?
GM: Unless someone can catch up with Lenia's horse (speed 12) it's gone.
Mrugnak: Or just away-away?
GM: after the horse - the mule fled a different way.
Berkun: "It's going to come back in some time. It's hungry"
Mordreona: I am very fit and move 9 I give it a try
Berkun: Berkun runs to collect his arrows
Mrugnak: Move of 8 here and Fit... heading after the manticore as it flies out of sight.
GM: 9 is less than 12. You can run the horse to ground easily enough, but not out pace it in a panicked sprint.
GM: Same with 8.
Berkun: 2 arrows should be in the crashed manticores, but the third one could be anywhere...
Mrugnak: I know I'm not likely to catch up before it gets tired/bored/dead.
Mordreona: I run it into the ground then. what does my healing potion do again?
Berkun: so if I can't spot it easily, nevermind it
GM: Healing potion is [2d6] => [4,4] = (8)
GM: You heal 8 damage.
Mordreona: k
GM: Mrugnak and Mordreona catch up with the horse's corpse after about a minute and half of hard running (+10 seconds for Mrugnak). The manticore tears a few quick hunks of horseflesh off and flees.
GM: I'm a little tempted to have it turn and fight... but nah.
GM: Not fun for everyone else.
Berkun: heh
Mordreona: "well, what now?"
** Mordreona kicks the horse." **
whispering to Mrugnak, The horse's corpse looks poisoned, as well as pierced by several spikes.
Singeon: "Those with keen eye out in case they return.
** Mordreona I grab my pack and jog back **
** Mrugnak pants a little bit, and swears in Barbarian. **
Lenia: Your pack was on the Mule.
Lenia: Not the horse.
Mrugnak: Your pack is on the mule.
GM: The mule is gone.
Lenia: My stuff was on the horse, and I now have more gear than I can carry.
GM: Someone would need to track it to recover it.
Berkun: Berkun can track it, but it might be...
** Mordreona kicks the horse again, damnit. **
** Mordreona walks back. **
** Mrugnak will go back and track down the mule, using Barbarian Training and keen senses of smell. **
Berkun: (did I found any of my arrows?)
Mrugnak: Because mules smell like dinner.
GM: Berkun - your arrows are SNAPPED.
Berkun: I should have expected that
GM: Mrugnak, roll tracking.
GM: Discriminatory smell gives the usual bonus.
Mrugnak: Barbarian! (10) [3d6.skill(14,+4)] => [4,1,3] = 8 vs (18) or less Success! by 10 Conditional: +4 from Discriminatory Smell when scent is a factor in tracking
Mrugnak: That's including the +4.
Explorers: I see that.
GM: I see that.
** Mordreona stops and starts to follow Mrugnak. **
Mrugnak: Sorry.
GM: It's trivial for you to find the mule, and Ricka talks it down and bribes it with sugar and carrots until it comes back again.
GM: What are people up to now?
Singeon: guarding, snack.
Berkun: Berkun takes a single manticore spike as a memento
Berkun: then rests but keeps ready in case of another attack
** Mrugnak comes back with Ricka and the mule, and sits down on the ground next to Lenia. "It eated yer horse. Sorry." **
Mordreona: "do we need to get the stuff from the horse?"
Lenia: Redistributing gear. I don't actually have anything weighty that I can do without, except food, and even that's incredibly light because I buy elven rations. Medium encumbrance for the win.
GM: Do you want to put that stuff with Henrietta or the mule?
Berkun: "The manticore took out the best chunks... oh, you mean the equipment?"
** Mrugnak squints at the big spikes still sticking out of Lenia. **
** Mrugnak digs around in his harness and belts, and produces a potion flask. "You broken. You fix." **
** Mrugnak hands it to Lenia. **
Singeon: "How far to our destination?"
GM: Well, no one knows where the Tomb is. It's somewhere within a 15 mile or so circle of a landmark you'd hoped to reach tomorrow.
Mrugnak: It's a Major Healing pot.
Mrugnak: I'm going to have to rely on someone else to pull the spikes out.
Lenia: Major Healing Potion: [2d6] => [4,5] = (9) HP healed.
GM: That leaves you in severe pain and suffering.
Berkun: Berkun can pull out the spikes...
Berkun: First Aid 11 is enough :)
Lenia: Lenia's got a first aid kit for +2.
Mordreona: "maybe I should do that?"
GM: Who's doing what?
Berkun: Berkun leaves healing to those better at it than him
** Mordreona looks at Lenia, then at the spikes." **
Singeon: Singeon is watching the medical work, fascinated, and a little grossed out.
** Mordreona starts to pull them out." **
Mordreona: First Aid/TL3 (Human) (13) [3d6.skill(13,0)] => [2,6,2] = 10 vs (13) or less Success! by 3
GM: Lenia recovers [1d6-3] => [5,-3] = (2)
GM: good job!
Lenia: Major Healing: [3d6.skill(17,-7)] => [3,5,6] = 14 vs (10) or less Failure! by 4 for 3FP (8 healing).
Lenia: Luck.
Lenia: Major Healing: [3d6.skill(17,-7)] => [2,6,6] = 14 vs (10) or less Failure! by 4 for 3FP (8 healing).
Lenia: Major Healing: [3d6.skill(17,-7)] => [6,4,4] = 14 vs (10) or less Failure! by 4 for 3FP (8 healing).
Lenia: ...
Singeon: ((ouch))
GM: spend an FP, try again?
Berkun: "All this blood around makes me hungry..."
Mordreona: (( what time of day is it?))
Berkun: Berkun gets out his rations and eats a bit
Mrugnak: :( The dice hates you today.
GM: [1d12+6] => [11,6] = (17)
Singeon: "We must continue on, Berkun."
Mordreona: "Maybe you should rest Lenia."
GM: it's about 5 pm, you were just about to stop for the day anyway.
Singeon: Nevermind.
GM: Characters with Naturalist think that sleeping next to the Manticore corpses is less than wise.
Lenia: Minor Healing: [3d6.skill(17,-7)] => [4,5,2] = 11 vs (10) or less Failure! by 1 for 2 FP (3 healing).
Singeon: "Will they return?"
Mordreona: " Please stop that you will hurt yourself."
whispering to Lenia, The random number generator hates you.
Lenia: "I know my limits, thank you. Let's get moving to a safe camp."
** Mrugnak gets Naturalist from Barbarian training, woot. **
Mrugnak: Lenia is badly wounded. How much does she weigh?
GM: 170 lbs including all possible gear.
Mrugnak: Hm, and can I find my throwing axe in one piece? Probably in Manticore 01 somewhere.
Mordreona: "We can make two trips for the gear if we need to."
GM: axe survives on a 1 [1d3] => [3] = (3)
Mrugnak: Right.
GM: You find the remains of it, but it was involved in a mess crash.
Mrugnak: then, when we get going, Mrugnak picks up Lenia (and all her bags). This brings him down to Heavy Encumbrance, and a mere move of 6.
Singeon: I can take some items as well.
GM: Which is as fast as Lenia walks normally anyway...
Mordreona: "Me too"
GM: Though you will be slowed down for long distance travel since Mrugnak will need to rest a lot more.
Mrugnak: Fit helps there somewhat.
Mrugnak: For the moment, I believe we're traveling far enough to be safe from Manticore carcases and their natural scavengers.
GM: You travel on for an hour and camp for the night.
GM: The night passes uneventfully. The next day... what are people doing?
Mrugnak: healing naturally?
Singeon: How is Lenia for traveling?
GM: She's at 1/3 HP or less, so she's very, very slow. And she whines a lot.
Berkun: Not much, though Berkun will occasionally look for tracks of wildlife
Berkun: that is, he'll ask others to stop for a bit and he'll go forward, then check
Singeon: Get her cheese for that whine.
Berkun: that's because I want to have an idea of what creatures we can expect here
GM: Okay... hang on, Berkun.
Mrugnak: Does Lenia get a HT roll to recover a HP?
Lenia: Not without a full day of rest.
Mordreona: I look for plants to use in potions if it looks like I have the time.
GM: Not unless you spend a day in camp.
Lenia: Minor Healing: [3d6.skill(17,-7)] => [5,5,6] = 16 vs (10) or less Failure! by 6 for 2 FP (3 healing).
Lenia: Major Healing: [3d6.skill(16,-7)] => [6,3,3] = 12 vs (9) or less Failure! by 3 for 3 FP (8 healing).
** Mrugnak gives Lenia another healing potion before she explodes. **
Mrugnak: She's obviously not getting better.
Singeon: We might need to camp for the day. Lenia is too important to our success to endanger her by forcing her into a situation in her... er... situation.
Lenia: Major Healing Potion: [2d6] => [6,6] = (12)
Lenia: "Let's go."
whispering to Berkun, Trigers, flesh eating apes, giant rats, wolf packs, things on two feet with boots. Birds of prey, vulture, stuff like that.
GM: Okay...
Berkun: "No disagreement here. We should find a good place to camp, though"
Mrugnak: Sorry, he's dumb, and is having trouble grasping that you can't fix yourself.
Berkun: "Those manticores are bad news."
Berkun: "A cave would serve us nicely"
GM: Lenia drank a major potion, and is now completely healed.
Mordreona: "Are we not there yet?"
Singeon: Isn't that kind of a waste of potions?
Singeon: We need them for when the situation is dire
Lenia: "Time's more valuable than potions. Thank you, Mrugnak."
Berkun: "And I saw Triger tracks here... you know what that is?"
Mrugnak: Situation is dire if the healer is wounded.
Singeon: Triger?
Mrugnak: And right now, she's wounded.
Mrugnak: Barbarian! (10) [3d6.skill(10,0)] => [3,3,5] = 11 vs (10) or less Failure! by 1 IQ-based
** Mrugnak hasn't got a clue! **
Singeon: Yes, we have time before we enter the tomb for healing.
Berkun: "Tiger with three heads."
Berkun: "Awful thing to meet if one is unprepared."
Singeon: I'll skin the kitty myself.
Berkun: "I think there can be apes here too. Big kind that might not fear attacking a group of humans."
Berkun: Berkun nods to Singeon
Berkun: "It's better that we find a cave, barricade it..."
Berkun: "Stay for a few days"
Singeon: "Fine, I just hope those potions will not be missed later. Let's move on."
GM: okay...
GM: with that, and a minor healing spell for Mordreona, you press on.
Narrator: The delvers walked for hours, the woods thinning out around them and the hills getting steeper.
Singeon: Lenia, when we find the marker, can you divine where the entrance would be?"
Singeon: Or divine
Narrator: As they were cleaning up from lunch, they noticed three figures watching them from a nearby copse of trees - 2 woman and a tall man.
Lenia: "Not really. That would be more Berkun's or Mrugnak's job."
Berkun: "Watch out!"
Berkun: "It's probably apes..." Berkun's first reaction is to prepare his bow
GM: They have weapons, but they aren't drawn.
** Mordreona hides. **
Singeon: Singeon fastdraws on the warning... he's freaky that way.
** Mrugnak waves. **
GM: They're about 50 yards away from you.
Berkun: Berkun squints to see what people they are exactly... bloodstained and with filed teeth or more pleasant sorts
GM: One of the women waves back tentatively. You can't make out much detail, but they appear to be wearing sensible leather clothing and backpacks.
Singeon: Singeon waves back, obviously he wave was for him.
Berkun: "No, not apes... they're clothed and gesturing..."
Singeon: I put away my swords. "Ahoy!" I call out.
Lenia: "Put your weapons away. It's not like you can't have them back out in a flash if things go sour." Louder, she calls to the trio. "We're not dangerous. Parlay?"
Berkun: "I'd be careful, if three make a bait, there has to be much more in ambu... unless it's not a trap that is!"
Explorers: "Good day! Parley! Parley!"
Explorers: That's the waving woman.
Singeon: Singeon walks forward to them, about halfway.
Mordreona: Stealth (17) [3d6.skill(17,0)] => [3,5,3] = 11 vs (17) or less Success! by 6
** Mrugnak waves more enthusiastically. "Hello hello!" **
** Lenia mutters something about the French, and follows Singeon. **
Singeon: "Greetings. Come here often?" He smirks.
GM: They advance about 15 yards, stopping short of Singeon.
Explorers: "Well, no. Not as such. Do you? Who are you?"
Singeon: "I am Singeon- Extreme Swordsman."
Singeon: "We are traveling."
Lenia: "Forgive my friend, he tends to try to compensate for his shortcomings with flowery words. We're a delving band out of Polisberg. Yourselves?"
Narrator: The strangers are wearing stained traveling leathers, broad-brimmed hats, and weapon belts. The two woman left their backpacks behind, but the man still has his.
Berkun: "I am Berkun the archer!"
** Mrugnak grins, showing those horrid yellow teeth of his again. "Mrugnak!" **
Explorers: "I am Rachel, this is Zula and Miles. We're with the Threshold Explorers Society. We're cartographers."
Singeon: Singeon shoots Lenia a hard look.
Explorers: "You make up a strange band, if you'll forgive my saying."
Singeon: "They all ca't be me."
Lenia: "Thankfully."
** Mrugnak looks confused. "You what a cat?" **
GM: Everyone can make Observation rolls at -6.
Singeon: Sorry, my mouth is dry, Can't.
Singeon: [3d6] => [3,3,5] = (11)
Mrugnak: Observation (11) [3d6.skill(11,-6)] => [6,3,3] = 12 vs (5) or less Failure! by 7
Singeon: Miss by 6
Lenia: Observation: [3d6.skill(12,-5-6)] => [2,3,1] = 6 vs (1) or less Failure! by 5
Mordreona: ((no skill))
Lenia: ((Defaults to Per-5))
Mordreona: Per (13) [3d6.skill(13,-5)] => [1,3,3] = 7 vs (8) or less Success! by 1
GM: She can't roll - effectively level is 2.
Singeon: Oh, Per-5. Then is miss by 11
Berkun: [3d6] => [3,6,5] = (14) needs 8
Berkun: failure
GM: okay...
Berkun: "This is a dangerous area."
Berkun: Berkun says to the woman
Explorers: "Is it? Is there something we should be worried about?" They all tense slightly.
Singeon: "Are you doing a survey here?"
Mrugnak: "Dere hairy birds 'round. Ait Lenia's horse."
Explorers: "Well, extending our maps, yes. Birds, you say?"
Lenia: "Manticores, about a half-day's travel back that way."
** Mrugnak nods. "Hairy birds. Dey spit knifes." **
Explorers: "Oh, my." Rachel frowns. "You lost your horse?"
Lenia: "It became lunch, briefly. I'll buy another when we reach town. We're seeking a tomb, but our map becomes a bit fiddly out here - have you come across anything like that in your survey?"
Singeon: Singeon gets a headache.
Explorers: "No, not as such." She pauses. "You have money to replace the horse?" She turns to the tall man. "Do you think we could spare...?"
GM: Everyone make a PERCEPTION roll at -8 (add the best of any non-Vision acute Senses)
Berkun: [3d6] => [2,3,2] = (7)
Singeon: [3d6] => [6,6,1] = (13)
Singeon: Miss
Lenia: Perception: [3d6.skill(12,-8)] => [6,5,1] = 12 vs (4) or less Failure! by 8
Berkun: failed too
Berkun: "
Mordreona: Per (13) [3d6.skill(13,-8)] => [2,5,6] = 13 vs (5) or less Failure! by 8
Mordreona: Stealth (17) [3d6.skill(17,0)] => [4,3,6] = 13 vs (17) or less Success! by 4
Berkun: "You know, you're lucky to be alive as well as still have horses with you. Those manticores were hungry..."
Explorers: The man pauses, considers. "It's possible we could spare a horse, if you are in the market."
Mrugnak: Hearing (14) [3d6.skill(14,-8)] => [1,4,3] = 8 vs (6) or less Failure! by 2
Berkun: "I don't know how much you need to map this area, but I'd suggest going back as soon as you can."
Explorers: The man grunts. "We can handle ourselves." Rachel smiles "but thank you for your concern."
Singeon: "And so can we, just so you know."
Lenia: "I might be able to buy your horse. What price for it?"
Explorers: Rachel blinks. "I never doubted."
Singeon: "We have very little money. I doubt we can make it worth your while."
Explorers: "The horse... well. Say, a pound and a half of silver, or equivalent? I know it's dear, but we'll throw in tack for free."
Lenia: ((Didn't we have, like, a pound and a half of hacksilver from the ettin encounter?))
Singeon: I don't think we have enough. Sorry.,
GM: It's not my job to keep track of treasure until I sum it up at the end, but that sounds plausible.
Berkun: "I have!"
Berkun: "Too bad it's left in Polisberg!"
Berkun: "But what if we'd pay you with these trinkets we found?"
Singeon: Singeon actually smiles."
Berkun: Berkun shows them the barbarian ornaments
Explorers: Rachel frowns at first, but smiles at the mention of payment. "What trinkets?"
Berkun: "These. They aren't kings treasure, but they are worth."
Berkun: "And in addition, we will let you accompany us so you'll be safer."
Berkun: "That is, until we find the tomb."
Explorers: Miles shakes his head. "We do not trust you that much." Rachel sighs, "And those amber beads can't be worth more than... well, less than 1/2 lb silver, I'd guess. We'd need a lot more. Do you have anything else here? You seem like respectable folk, but we can't extend credit."
** Lenia sighs. "We have silver. I'm not sure of its purity, but it should be close to what you're asking. I'd like to inspect the horse, of course." **
Explorers: "Of course! Show us the silver - just let us look, you keep it until we make a deal - and then we'll fetch the horse. We left it at our camp... a bit away."
Berkun: "Can't we go there?"
Explorers: "No. We don't trust you that much."
Singeon: Bring the horse. Then we deal.
Singeon: trust is two way.
Berkun: "Uh... You're stupid for not trusting us, but it's your call..."
** Mrugnak sniffs at the explorers. **
Lenia: "Aye. Horse for silver. I know we've the silver - but I don't see a horse. Or a camp."
Berkun: "Bring the horse here and..."
Berkun: "We'll deal."
** Mrugnak frowns. "Why walk so far wit out horse?" **
Explorers: "We'll bring the horse before we trade, of course! You have the silver?"
Singeon: When you return.
Explorers: Miles sighs. "We're not cavalry. We saw you coming, but we don't want to risk the horse if you turned out hostile. Like you said, this area is dangerous."
GM: Everyone make another round of Perception tests at -7.
Singeon: [3d6] => [3,3,5] = (11)
Singeon: No way
Berkun: "It's not use you have to fear but things that would pluck you from that tree like fruit..."
Berkun: [3d6] => [1,4,4] = (9)
Berkun: failed
Mrugnak: Hearing (14) [3d6.skill(14,-7)] => [3,2,4] = 9 vs (7) or less Failure! by 2
Mrugnak: Actually.
Mrugnak: My Discriminatory Smell should give me the +4 to Perception rolls that can use smell, right?
Lenia: Perception: [3d6.skill(12,-7)] => [3,6,2] = 11 vs (5) or less Failure! by 6
Mrugnak: If this is " a task that utilizes the sense of smell", then my effective score is 16, and I succeeded by 0.
** Mrugnak scratches his head. "How long you follow Mrugnak? You not got horse near." **
Explorers: Rachel frowns. "What?"
** Mrugnak pricks his ears up and looks around. He says, sort of absent mindedly "You got horse long way dan our horse." **
Explorers: Rachel turns to Lenia and Singeon. "Do you understand what he said? I don't." Miles looks displeased. "It sounded worrisome."
Lenia: "He's saying you don't smell like horse, either. Which even I do, and mine died yesterday."
** Mrugnak basically stops paying attention to Rachel and company. He scents at the air, and his cattle-ears swivel around conspicuously. **
Singeon: "I trust that nose. For some reason I don't trust you."
Lenia: "I don't think you've been entirely honest with us, friends."
Singeon: "Do you have any proof of your profession?"
Explorers: Rachel rolls her eyes heavenward. "I have no idea what you are talking about."
** Mrugnak looks confused, and distracted. "Who dere?" **
Berkun: "If you are cartographers, show us the maps you made..."
Explorers: "Proof of my profession?!" She thrusts her hand into a pouch, pulling a a collection of quills, inkpots, and paper. "I hardly need to justify myself to a group of admitted tomb raiders!"
Berkun: "I know how they look, I assisted an army cartographer..."
Berkun: "
Berkun: "You're either a cartographer or a scribe."
** Mrugnak stands up, with his back to the three explorers, and looks around into the bushes. **
Explorers: "If you don't want the horse, or can't afford it, fine! We'll just go our separate ways!" The trio starts backing up towards the hill.
Singeon: Either way, perhaps we should part company."
Lenia: "Singeon - I think there's someone in the bushes." She points her staff at the retreating cartographers. "Stop right there."
Singeon: Fastdraw
Singeon: Skill: Fast Draw (Saber)(16): [3d6.skill(16,0)] => [4,1,1] = 6 vs (16) or less Critical Success! by 10 [B556]
Singeon: Skill: Fast Draw (Saber)(16): [3d6.skill(16,0)] => [1,5,2] = 8 vs (16) or less Success! by 8
Berkun: arrow on bow
Berkun: [3d6] => [2,5,3] = (10)
Explorers: "Do not try to rob us!" They put their hands to their weapons but do not draw them.
** Mrugnak looks confused. "Who dere?" **
Singeon: I approach the bush. "Show yourself!"
GM: what bush?
Lenia: "We've no interest in robbing you, but a rather vested one in keeping our own belongings safe."
Singeon: The bushes Lenia mentioned
GM: oh. roll perception.
Singeon: [3d6] => [3,6,6] = (15)
Singeon: Miss by 5
Explorers: "Well!" They've reached the copse of trees at the top of the hill.
GM: You don't see anyone in the bushes.
Singeon: Lenia, what did you see?
** Mrugnak looks VERY confused. "Mrugnak smell no-see man, but he gone." **
GM: There is a brief, murmured conversation when they reach the copse.
** Lenia casts Frost on a wide area centered in those bushes. It won't damage anything, but coats everything in the area with frost. Base cost is 1; area is 11 hexes wide; cost is 10 FP. **
Lenia: Frost: [3d6.skill(18,-3)] => [3,2,3] = 8 vs (15) or less Success! by 7
Explorers: Rachel calls out, "call off your sneak! We've seen him, and we have no wish for violence!"
Lenia: Question for the GM: Can I see Mordreona?
** Mrugnak yells back, "You he, not we he!" **
GM: The bushes are now covered with frost. Uhm...
GM: Hmmm... [3d6.skill(8,0)] => [6,5,5] = 16 vs (8) or less Failure! by 8
GM: Nothing else happens.
Lenia: 11 hex radius is fairly huge. Probably covers the PCs as well.
GM: Okay, everyone is cold, too.
GM: Uhm, Observation -4 to see Mordreona. She's not visible otherwise.
Lenia: So no, I can't.
Lenia: "Our sneak? We thought it was yours!"
Lenia: ((Yes, that does now say "FP: 1/14."
Explorers: "We don't have a sneak! But we do have a keen-eyed wood elf archer in these trees! So don't try anything!"
GM: They crest the hill. Looking at the copse, you briefly see a green figure move.
Lenia: "Let them go."
Singeon: "I agree."
whispering to Mrugnak, Does Mrugnak carry his gold on him?
Berkun: Berkun frowns
Berkun: "Let them be."
Berkun: "Let's move fast, though"
Singeon: "Yes. Let us go."
Lenia: As soon as we get back to camp, I'm taking an inventory of our treasure.
Mordreona: follows her group.
** Mrugnak grabs at his belt. **
Mrugnak: "Where Mrugnak money?"
** Mrugnak frowns. "WHERE Mrugnak money?" **
Mrugnak: Bad Temper/Berserk. [3d6.skill(12,0)] => [3,4,2] = 9 vs (12) or less Success! by 3
GM: There's some left, not all of it fell out of the neat slit in the bottom of the pouch.
** Mrugnak stomps after them. "WHERE Mrugnak money?" **
GM: You still have 2 gold, 10 silver and 3 of your copper!
** Mrugnak grabs the rest of it and stuffs it in his potion belt as he goes after them. **
Singeon: Hold on!
GM: Who are you going after, Mrugnak?
Singeon: I run to him and stand in his way.
Mrugnak: The "explorers" of course.
GM: Ah.
whispering to Berkun, About half the amber is missing.
Berkun: "Moment, they were cutpurses? Of all things?"
Berkun: "Fools...!"
Lenia: "Apparently."
Singeon: Mrugnak, wait a moment.
** Mrugnak glares at Singeon and waves his emptied purse in his face. "Dat lotta drink all gone!" **
Berkun: "But if we are going to catch them, we better be sneaky..."
Singeon: I didn't want you to go without me. We need to track them and teach them what for.
Berkun: Berkun checks his own baggage. "Damn it, and they stole the trinkets."
Singeon: We are in this together.
Singeon: Berkun, track them down.
Berkun: "Track them down and advance quietly. Hunting humans is a complicated affair."
Berkun: Berkun hrumpfs
Berkun: "Sure thing. Let's go to the place we met them first."
** Mrugnak grums. "Mrugnak follow fine, smell man who took moneys." **
Mrugnak: *grumps
Singeon: And, Lenia, its best not to trust people so fast. I just said we were travelers, you tell them we are delvers, and have money. We must tread more carefully out here."
Singeon: Let's move out!
GM: Tracking contest - Berkun rolls at -11.
GM: ((sorry, he rolled a natural 3 on his cover-his-tracks roll))
Berkun: [3d6] => [4,5,3] = (12)
Berkun: well nope, that's a failure
Berkun: lucky bastard
GM: You follow the track for an hour before you realize it's the wrong set of prints.
GM: ((I promise to give you guys another chance at these guys, but in the meantime - the Tomb?))
Mrugnak: Why is Berkun the only one who can roll?
GM: Go for it!
Mrugnak: Barbarian! (10) [3d6.skill(14,-11)] => [5,5,4] = 14 vs (3) or less Critical Failure! by 11 [B556] Conditional: +4 from Discriminatory Smell when scent is a factor in tracking
Mrugnak: Woops. :D
Mrugnak: (Forgot the +4, which makes it not a crit fail)
GM: Yeah, your constant encouragement of Berkun didn't help the issue.
Mrugnak: But yeah, no help there.
Berkun: After a while, Berkun curses under his breath. Then he curses again. Finally, he's cursing all the time.
Mrugnak: It's a chorus. Mrugnak is providing a base line in Barbarian.
Mrugnak: And where is Mordy?
Mrugnak: Hiding in a bush still?
Berkun: "No way to find them... no tracks!"
Lenia: "Lovely."
GM: Isn't that a bass line?
Berkun: "They did their job right, scoundrels..."
Singeon: Bastards!
GM: Where is Mordreona?
Mordreona: she is with the group
GM: okay.
Mordreona: "I'm here guys."
Singeon: This is worse than when that Leprechaun took off with our stuff.
Mrugnak: Bass/base. Bass still sounds like fish to me :p
Singeon: Lets return to where we were and find the tomb.
GM: after fuming for a few more hours, you continue your trip to the Tomb.
GM: that night, you reach the ruined town that the Roses used as their landmark. This was the last point on their map drawn by their scholar - everything else is a reconstruction from a bunch of unlearned types.
GM: Who wants to try to follow the map to the Tomb? It should be someone with navigation.
** Mrugnak has navigation... sort of... **
Mrugnak: He's totally illiterate.
Mrugnak: So you probably don't want to give him the map.
GM: He can roll if no one else can, or assist someone.
Lenia: If Berkun isn't navigationist, Lenia can default it moderately well.
Berkun: I can do it
Berkun: 12
Berkun: should I roll?
Mrugnak: Mrugnak can help with a 10.
GM: Mrugnak assists first, then Berkun rolls. Mrugnak?
Singeon: If it was at sea I might be able to do it.
Berkun: unless Outdoorsman helps?
Berkun: [3d6] => [4,3,5] = (12)
GM: You wander around for a day without success. Try again.
Berkun: [3d6] => [4,2,1] = (7)
** Mordreona looks for plants. **
GM: Okay.
Mrugnak: Mrugnak can help?
Mrugnak: Badly, but hey.
GM: Yes, Mrugnak needs to roll.
Mrugnak: He's comfortable outside, just easily confused.
Mrugnak: Barbarian! (10) [3d6.skill(10,0)] => [6,6,3] = 15 vs (10) or less Failure! by 5 IQ-based
GM: Well. After most of a day's search...
Narrator: You have discovered a likely location of the Tomb of the Bloody Baron. Someone has dug into the hillside to reveal a door. The rotting body of a catboy in leather armor lies partially dismembered in front of the door; surrounded by the remains of dozens of carrion eaters. Next to the catboy lies another rotting body in robes. The second body's face is stretched into an agonized grin, where it hasn't been eaten by vultures and rats. A sharp blade is half-retracted into a slot in the door, blocked by the body of a vulture.
GM: What do you do?
Singeon: Trapped, obviously.
Mordreona: Stay back.
Mordreona: "Let me have a look."
Berkun: "This looks like it... but I don't know about the door... maybe just burn it?"
GM: The door is made of stone, so that's a non-starter.
Mordreona: I look for traps, if they stand back.
** Lenia stands back. **
** Mrugnak keeps the heck away from the juju, and frets to himself. **
Singeon: Oh, I get back.
Singeon: Baby got back.
Berkun: Berkun stands back as well
whispering to Mordreona, Well, the door is trapped. You can see that. It looks like there's the blade trap that killed the catboy - and the dart thrower. You don't see how to disarm the dartthrower.
Berkun: A good distance away
** Lenia takes time to set down her pack and belts, packing it all up carefully, and to pull off her mail shirt, leaving only staff and clothes. If Mordreona gets turned to hamburger, Body of Air is an option. **
Lenia: <- pragmatic.>
Lenia: <- pragmatic.
GM: The retainers, for what it's worth, are heading back to set up camp on a hilltop about 1/2 mile away. When they get away from a trap, they get AWAY from a trap.
Mrugnak: :)
Singeon: lol
GM: Also, their contract specifically keeps them away from actual delve sites.
Mordreona: ok guys must be 6-8 dart shooters on either side of the door.
Lenia: (("Yo' retainers are so cautious, when they get away from a trap, they camp a half mile away!" "Yeah, well yo' retainers are so fat, they get their own zip code!" "...Dude, that doesn't make sense." "Shut up. Yo' retainer jokes are HARD."))
Mordreona: ((can I st the traps off from a far?
Lenia: "Hmm. Dart shooters, eh?"
GM: You're not sure what the trigger point is.
Lenia: "Mordreona, stand back. Way back. Here with us, ish."
Mordreona: k
GM: Okay, it's 9 pm.
Lenia: Concussion: [3d6.skill(17,-3)] => [1,4,1] = 6 vs (14) or less Success! by 8
GM: We'll call it here.
GM: Damn. Not quite fast enough.
Lenia: 1 FP. 1d6 blast. >.>
Lenia: But we can decide what throwing it at the traps does next week!
GM: Definitely.
Lenia: (I figure, if it's pressure sensitive...)

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.